Elective Surgery pertains to those requested by the pet owner for the benefit of the cat or dog, usually related to spaying or neutering.
Spaying and neutering is usually performed to prevent breeding, prevent unwanted behavior, or decrease risk of future medical problems. Sterilization surgery may also have to be performed as an emergency procedure to treat issues like pyometra and testicular torsion, and used to treat ovarian, uterine, and testicular cancer. It is also recommended in cases of cryptorchidism to prevent torsion and malignant transformation of the testicles.
Common Procedures Performed at Pressly Animal Hospital:
- Dental Prophylaxis with or without dental extractions
- Lump or tumor removal of the skin, muskuloskeletal, gastrointestinal, spleen, and urogenital
- Treatment of abscesses and other wounds or lacerations
- Cystotomy - removal of bladder stones from your pet
- Gastrointestinal exploratory surgery - usually to remove obstructions or masses
- Ophthalmic procedures - enucleation, entropion, ectropion, cherry eye surgery
- Orthopedic - ruptured cruciate <50lbs, FHO, amputation, fracture pin repair, Medial Patella Luxation
- Caesarean section - to help deliver puppies or kittens
- Gastric Dilation Volvulus - more commonly known as bloat, the stomach fills up with gas/air, and then completely flips
- Urinary Obstruction - unblocking male cats or dogs, usually caused by stones, silt, or mucous plugs in the urethra